Chicken and Mushroom Pie 🥧 🥧🥧
Mushrooms love chicken and chicken loves mushrooms, especially in a lovely creamy sauce, and so this classic combination is a winner, always!
Make it for the match tomorrow and make the top a riot of pastry stars (or use another appropriate cookie cutter!). Sending all good vibes to the team!
Enjoy the pie! It is a winner.
* 2 #meatboxcom chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch chunks
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finally chopped
* 300g fresh mushrooms, brushed clean and quartered
* 2 tablespoons plain flour
* 300 mil chicken stock
* 4 tbsp crème fraîche
* 2 tsp English mustard
* 2 tsp Worcester sauce
* 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
* Sea salt
* 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil for frying
* 1 egg
* enough puff pastry to cover a 20cm pie (or make a number smaller pies) - I use shop bought pre rolled
* a 20cm pie dish
* Star cookie cutter if desired (you can have a regular pasty top too!)
Preheat your oven to 200C.
Sauté the chicken in the butter and oil over a medium heat until white all over. dd the flour and stir through well. The flour will thicken the sauce slightly.
Add the mushrooms and stir through, then add the garlic for a further minute, stirring well.
Add the the worcester sauce and the chicken stock. Cook for 10 minutes. Finish with the creme fraiche and the parsley. Season to taste with salt.
Oil or butter the pie dish and spoon in the filling. Cover your pie with pastry stars as I did, overlapping as you do or for a traditional pie, place the rolled pastry over the top of the pie dish and trip the edges with a knife, ensuring that the pastry goes right to the edge.
Pierce the pastry a few times with a knife or fork. Brush with beaten egg to give it a lovely glazed finish.
Bake until the pastry is golden and crisp. This should take approximately 30 minutes but that will depend on your oven so keep an eye on it.
Eat hot and enjoy!
Now @eatlikeagirl says that pie is an all year round type of food and we are inclined to agree with her. Especially when it is a chicken pie!